Surprisingly for many, the vitality of fire safety becomes noticeable only after a catastrophe, when it’s too late. Most households fail to understand the gravity of home fires and their homes lack proper safety measures. After all, it’s easy to get into the “it won’t happen to me” mindset. It takes seconds for a cooking accident or a fireplace to endanger families and ruin lives.
Here are some of the top fire safety practices that you must follow.
Check your smoke alarms
- Install fire protection: Smoke alarms are always the best warning system in a primary phase of fire occurrence. They are helpful even in basements and outdoor areas of your room. Examine the smoke alarms most frequently and rebuild them when there is any battery issue.
- Smoke alarm Vs. Carbon monoxide (CO) alarm: These two alarms are critical for the safety of your place. Some alarms are available in markets which include both. You can install an automatic fire sprinkler system to get complete home protection.
Create and practice your escape way from fire
- Plan your safe escape from fire: Firstly, you need to flee from where fire breaks out in your house. Decide on a meeting place in the outdoors of your house. Exercise your drill plan at regular intervals.
- Be the responsible one for the vulnerable: You should be a backup person to assist infants and young children in the event of a fire.
- Teach others to follow an escape plan: Ensure each of your family members knows and is aware of the fire escape plan.
Be aware of fire threats
In case of an emergency, leave the area immediately
If there is an event of a fire, exit home soon. Please stay in the safe location until emergency personnel tells you it is safe enough to re-enter your home. You can also call a fire protection company in case of a disastrous fire breakout.
Fire breakouts are unpredictable. Everyone needs to know their key responsibilities to ward off the chances of fire breakouts. Additionally, everyone must monitor the condition of smoke alarms and fire extinguishers in the home. It’s advisable to hire a fire protection company to check the vulnerability of fire or smoke sensors in your residence or commercial space.