Families are occupied wrapping gifts, adorning the home, and enjoying their time together over Christmas. Unfortunately, this is the time of year when individuals are most likely to forget a crucial topic: fire safety. To help prevent sudden fires and reduce risks of personal injury, Fire protection Sydney experts at FireSafe recommend focusing on some basic safety measures.
During the holidays, the use of holiday lights, unattended burning candles, incorrect care of live Christmas trees, fireplaces, and cooking all enhance the risk of house fire-related fatalities and injuries. Common causes of kitchen fires include unsupervised cooking and human mistake.
Essential Fire Safety Tips
These are some recommendations from FireSafe to maintain fire safety this holiday season:
- Frequent watering is required to keep Christmas trees hydrated, as dried trees pose a fire hazard. Always disconnect Christmas tree lights, electric trains and toys before leaving the house or retiring for the night.
- Plan the placement of your tree with caution. Ensure that it is at a safe distance from any heat sources and does not obstruct the escape.
- Choose seasonal decorations made of flame-resistant/flame-retardant/non-combustible materials.
- Before retiring for the day or leaving the house, switch off and disconnect any decorations.
- Never leave lit candles unattended; always keep them away from ornaments and other flammable items, such as Christmas trees.
- Always keep a close eye on the burner when preparing food for holiday guests.
- Test smoke detectors and replace the batteries as necessary. Replace smoke alarms every 10 years or before if necessary.
- Place fire extinguishers in garages, the kitchen, hallways, and on every floor of the residence. Ensure each adult family member understands the location of every fire-fighting equipment and how to use them.
- Before the holidays, have a competent expert evaluate your home’s heating appliances and systems to verify they are in excellent operating condition. Inspect your chimneys for cracks and/or obstructions.
- Before starting a fire inside a wood-burning fireplace, ensure the chimney is open to avoid carbon monoxide from slowly building-up indoors.
- Create and rehearse a fire escape strategy as a family. Plan two departure routes from each room, and rehearse your exit strategy at night to simulate the most severe fire event. Never reenter a home that is on fire. Ensure that someone is accountable for rousing and transporting small children to safety.
Get Regular Maintenance Of Fire Protection Sydney Equipment
Fire safety isn’t something you can take for granted. Always have fire extinguishers in strategic locations on your property and ensure it’s in working condition. Opt for fire-fighting equipment maintenance on residential and commercial properties. It will help ensure the systems are in working condition if and when needed.
For more fire safety tips or details about our services, please call FireSafe at 1300 347 372 or send us your queries via this Online Form, and we will contact you soon. We offer a range of fire-fighting products such as fire extinguishers, fire alarms, fire hydrant pump sets and services designed and built to protect your property from sudden fires.