Fire blankets are typically used in food preparation areas and are used to tackle Class B (flammable liquid), Class F (Cooking fats and oils) and Class A (carbonaceous) fires. A Fire Blanket is essentially a highly flame-resistant material, which can be used either to extinguish a minor fire or to wrap around an individual that has caught alight. A fire blanket is made of two layers of intricately woven glass fibre fabric and an inner layer that’s made of fire-retardant film. Fire blankets work very effectively by cutting off the supply of oxygen (which the fire needs to burn), and smothering the fire.
How to Use Fire Blankets
As fire blankets are effective protection in case of a minor fire, it’s important that you know how to use them either during an emergency in your home or office:
- Turn off the gas/electricity supply that may be causing the fire e.g. the gas on the stove top
- Remove the fire blanket from its container and hold it firmly by the fabric straps
- In order to prevent burns on your hands and arms, ensure you wrap the top edges around your hands; this will keep them protected.
- Roll-up your sleeves so that they don’t catch fire
- Carefully cover the flames with your fire blanket; ensure that you’ve covered the entire area as this will help you effectively cutoff the airflow and extinguish the flames
- If the fire is out of control contact the fire brigade on triple 0 immediately
Things to Remember
Keep in mind that if the fire’s larger than the size of the blanket, don’t try to put it out. Move safely out of the area and contact the fire brigade without delay. Once you’ve used the blanket don’t touch either the fire blanket or anything that’s below it for at least an hour post extinguishing the fire. You can also use these as a thermal barrier against heat, as well as to prevent people’s clothes from catching fire. Once you have used a fire blanket you must discard it and contact us for a replacement.
For any out-of-control fires immediately call emergency services. Fire blankets are designed in such a way that they remove the oxygen supply from the fire; this helps control or completely extinguish the fire as it has no fuel. FireSafe offers a range of 4 fire blankets:
- 1800 x 1800mm Fire Blanket
- 1200 x 1800mm Fire Blanket
- 1200 x 1200mm Fire Blanket
- 1000 x 1000mm Fire Blanket
Fire Blankets in Sydney – We’re the Experts
FireSafe is an expert provider of commercial, industrial and high-rise residential fire protection, inspection, installation, and maintenance and certification services. We offer an extensive range of scheduled testing as well as inspection services that are compliant with AS1851-2012 and the Building Code of Australia. We also provide fire equipment registers and reports that assist in the compilation of the Annual Fire Safety Statement specifically for building owners. These comprehensive documents form a crucial component of the compliance process for every property owner, with the BCA (Building Code of Australia), the OH&S Act as well as the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 2000.
For a free fire safety and audit inspection, call FireSafe at 1300 347 372. You can also send us your queries via this online form.